Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Meeting People

As I went through Harrison Montana I couldn't help but take a trip up the road to Pony, Montana. It sits at the end of the road, surrounded by vast ranch land and mountains. The town has a bar, a post office,and that is about it. Small but quaint. A place where you can walk down the only street there is and feel welcome. The old buildings are still hanging on, windows stand open, doors cracked as if waiting for something to return. Pony still stands, the people remain for one good reason, it's home. I asked that of one of the locals,"why stay here?" and his answer was that simple "It's were I am from, it's home and I know everyone." I gathered that information, proceeded in taking pictures and headed out the road I came from and went into Harrison, and stopped at the antique store were there I met Deb Owens-Samson. She has lived in Montana her whole life, the first woman operator up at the mine in Whitehall, and had that same answer of why she has stayed. Simplicity and comfort usually rule over anything else in life. That feeling of coming home and knowing everyone will know you and accept you. That feeling of being. That tradition of knowing that you can always count on your neighbor. Tradition is what motivates us, what keeps us grounded in life, and what defines who we are. If we lose that we stand to lose ourselves.

1 comment:

Joyce Drolette said...

Really nice to be able to relate to that.

Nice to see you are a writer also!