Friday, September 18, 2009

Lessons from the road


I have been learning a lesson a day while on the road with my motorcycle. For instance when I think I am in first gear and I'm not and the bike stalls out with a huge buffalo in front of me. Not good at all. All I can envision in my mind is the bison turing around and seeing the nice bright yellow and charging. I regain my composure as sweat is beading up inside my helmet, start the bike and slowly pull away with no harm done. Or when being a little bit aggresive goes a long way on a motorcycle, like when I have a person in a subaru driving within inches from my rear end and I can actually see the whites of their eyes, so I go slower...and slower until they get the hint and back off. Every time I swing my leg over my bike I am entering the learning world. I get frustrated at myself when it seems like I am not connecting well with talulah and we are struggling, or when I feel like I am not going to connect with people when I get to a town. This last trip to Virginia City was like that, as amazing as it was with my parents involved it was also frustrating. It seemed everyone was in their own world, and didn't want to be bothered with anything. So as I sat there thinking " What am I doing? I am not going to make any different here", when a boy of ten years old or so smiles at me and tried making me laugh by peeking his head out of the doorway, and as I photographed him looking down the road, I realized that connecting with one person is all that matters, that they will take what I have told them and learn from it and value it. That is why I am here, to show to people that we need to learn from what we see around us, the traditions and the cultures that our ancestors have given us. To show others this vast country side, it's sweeping landscapes to a boy sitting on a bench waiting for something to happen.

No comments: